Sunday, July 19, 2015

Trip to Barrio Logan, San Diego with my friend, John...

My friend John and I are good friends but we have different perspectives on life.  Thought it would be fun to share road trips and experiences that we make, using both of our perspectives.  Look forward to any feedback.  Thanks!

Barrio Logan
-----
By John P.
Tonight we checked out a newer growing area of San Diego called Barrio Logan and were pleasantly surprised with the down to earth people and atmosphere.  If you’re seeking to be impressed with Mercedes Benz and BMWs, keep looking.  If you just want alcohol, easy conversation, some art and authentic food, this is the place to hang out.

Patrons there were from San Diego, Del Mar and North Park and had plenty of interesting topics.   Discussions included growing up in Ecuador, studying in Israel or visiting New York – I mentioned discussions, I don’t think people understood the rules about spending more time taking selfie photos, texting friends or sending email, people actually spoke.   

By Raj Oswal
----
Experience In Barrio Logan

Today I went with my friend John to a UCLA event in San Diego- it was a beer brewery in the district of Barrio Logan.  When I heard about the event, I knew it would be something unique; a part of town I had never been to, and I knew it would be a place filled with culture.  So despite the drenching rain, I was determined to drive down there this afternoon..

The event itself was a lot of fun. It was a unique bar in the middle of a colorful town, definitely felt like we were in a different world - closer to being like Mexico like that of the US.  As we drank our flights of beer, I noticed more and more around me.  Perhaps the stouts and unique fruitful beers helped with that effect :)  Anyhow as the evening progressed, I found myself curiously enjoying the vibe.. Definitely different than my home town of "fru-fru" Del Mar (as my friend John would say).

As we approached the deep evening hours, and amidst all of my socializing with fellow alums, I felt the urge to leave the bar and explore the neighborhood.  I found myself wanting to find out about an artistic gallery about a block away.  Curious as I was, I decided to explore.

The art bar was definitely a cultural experience...definitely the majority were non Americans,likely latino.  The art was flowing, the vibe was energetic, and there was a sense of curiosity in the air.

For some reason, although I felt in the minority being a 1st generation American, the true side of me came out and I started blending in (at least I felt).. After the art gallery,
I went to an amazing restaurant near by, where I tried their authentic Mexican food, it was delicious...definitely the best I've tried in the US.

Finally , I went back to the bar where my friend was topping off the flights that he had ordered.  As I entered the bar,late evening, I noticed the vibe was changing - but the most interesting thing I noticed was that family's were at the bar, not just the "adults" like in the US.  In fact, I was so fascinated, I caught myself playing Shereds with a young mom and her two daughters-- they were good.

It reminded me of Spanish culture, or European in general, where all families are together- whether at a bar , a restaurant or anywhere.  Why would we rather shelter our kids by leaving them at a sitter rather than take them out in town with you?

In the end, a good trip, a memorable trip, felt like I went to a new country...and reminded me how much cultural experiences shape me...





1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Mr. Oswal,

this is kalpana. i really like to read your post. need to talk to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home