Sunday, January 13, 2013

Gun Control and Torture

Today, on this Sunday wintery morning, while I was at the park , I had an interesting conversation (albeit my stepp throat) with my neighbor.

I was telling her how much I enjoyed a recent movie called Zero Down Thirty, a film about the capture of Bin Laden.  I remember after watching it , how content I felt with the filming, primarily the acting and direction and the inspiration of the lead role. But after discussing it with Sarah, she brought about a different perspective, not convinced that she liked the approach America has taken with the entire "Osama Bin Laden" handling.  I agreed that America's sort of way of first funding Bin Laden and then killing him was very contradictory, but even after that conversation, I didn't feel either was completely able to express the fundamental frustration with the approach the US took to handling the situation.  Both of us were obscure in our thoughts.  That said, I was very uneasy with the torture scenes depicted in the movie.

When I had my conversation with my neighbor this morning, I discussed the movie.  She simplified her opinion into something very easy for me to understand, and helped me realize my opinion on the subject.  She simply said, "I don't believe in torture" and went on to express how we all know America's approach to getting Bin Laden was not going all over Pakistan for an intense man-hunt, but rather by brutal torture, to force information out of people.  This simple statement made me think and realize that though Osama Bin Laden was killed and captured, the way we went about it wasn't the right, in any ethical or moral way.  And I have to say that Obama's claim to control or stop torture seemed disingenuous...

Gun Control
We then started to discuss the hot topic of gun control especially due to the recent surge of mass violence in the States.  I've never been clear on how to handle gun control, doesn't seem to be an easy answer.  But I must admit, I've been wrapped up in all the "hoopla" around this as well, and have internally been debating what is the right approach to handling it.

 Well, after talking to my neighbor, my thoughts on the subject cleared up.  She was not sure either about being for/ against the gun control, but when I questioned what she would do with the Aurora, Colorado theater shooter, she simply stated that the guy was mentally ill and should be locked up for life.  And then went on to say that all of these individuals (e.g. Hitler) that create such hideous crimes should not be killed, tortured, etc, but rather locked up , as they are all mentally ill and need help

This made me realize that all of this recent political debate about how to handle gun control is the wrong problem to be discussing, and that is rather short-term and reactionary.  Instead, a better long terms solution would be how to deal with those that are mentally ill. Perhaps ideas around providing more access to those that require mental health help, more access to clinics, government incentives / subsidies for students to enroll in those fields, and more awareness around the topic.  I know for me, to see a good Psychiatrist or Psychologist  is easily over $150 an hour, which is way too expensive for an average middle class person.  Perhaps Obama and team should be thinking more about these longer term solutions.  Restricting guns will not solve any problem.  I know its next to impossible for a family member not to react, but this is the right solution.

Oh on a lighter note, to handle my strep throat, she mentioned swallowing crushed fresh garlic with water and rub sum Oregano Oil.  She claimed garlic is a natural antibiotic and that this method will get rid of my cold within days.  I dont' know why, but I absolutely believe in these natural remedies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home