Saturday, October 06, 2012

Remembering My Nani..Oct 5, 2012

Today my nani, Mrs. Surendri Kumari Jain, passed away..

I remember so many things..so many childhood memories...

The first person to visit me when I was born in cold Chicago...her first trip to the USA...

Always being treated like royalty..whenever I visited them as a child...

Naming their first business after me, "Rajal Trading Company"...

Her trips to the US, when I was older...her shuttling between San Diego and Fremont..

Going on walks with her in our home in San Diego...

Being proud to show her my condo I purchased in Carmel Valley...

But, it was the time between Oct 2010- and Mar 2011 which hold the deepest memories in my heart...

It was the time I was living in Gol Market, her home, in New Delhi... just her and I..

It was when I really got some time with her...

Sitting in the balcony on warm winter days...looking out into the neighboorhood...

I remember fixing the house...her own bedroom...taking her to the doctor on the Rickshaw...

I remember having Chai and aloo toast every day with her, her making me Rajma Chaval....

I remember setting up Skype for her...seeing the smile on her face and tears of joy, when she was able to video chat with my mom and dad...

Just sitting in the cold and dark living room, blasting the music on the old tv of hers...dancing and singing in front her..seeing the smile on her face..

I remember her stubborness and sneaky ways.. !

I remember her complete undivided attention when it came to matters of money ...

Her refusing to leave Dr's Lane for anything...

Her throwing down a pail of water to wake up the servant from his lazy sleep...

Her naps in the hot afternoons of Delhi..

Having to sneak up quietly when I came home from a late night outing..in fear she'd be upset :)...

I remember taking her with the help of my friend Avedesh...on so many small but memorable trips..

To visit Shobha Auntie, my mom's old friend..

To take her to a five star hotel to have a coffee with me..

To take her to Prem Caca's and her extended family, for Diwali...

To take her to Lal Mandir...

To take her to visit my other grandmother Amma...that moment to see two old souls was such an amazing site..

And her distinct laugh..her smile...she used to always say , "I can't speak English"....

And most importantly, I remember listening...

About her life as a child in Pakistan..

Her stories of my grandpa, whom she loved so much..

Hosting Neeru and Gandhiji in their home in Pakistan...

Indian politics during the independence movement...

Meeting Indira Gandhi, the prime  minister in India...

How she migrated to Jaipur from Pakistan...

How she met my grandpa...

Her mother, who also lived such a complete life...and died well past 90...

The family business that was started...

My staying with her has inspired me to find ways to help other older people..who especially in this country, might have all the amenities, all the luxuries...

But they have don't have anybody there to listen, except on major holidays, in this fast paced world.

And sometimes if you look in their eyes, the one part of their body that doesn't grow old, you can see such a desire to want to share so much...all that is needed is someone to listen.

I will always try to make time to listen...not because its an obligation, but seeing their eyes light up, makes me feel so warm inside.

Just like I did with my Nani.  Seeing the joy in her eyes when she looked at me and shared so much...

I'll never forget having Chole Bhutra and coke with Gadjar Ka Halva...despite getting in trouble for feeding her that..

Oh how I she loved that...

So  many memories, and countless bursts of love...

My Nani lived a full and complete life.  I always wished in my heart that the family politics didn't put burden on her, but nevertheless, she was a strong spirit and a soul filled with life...

...and nobody could take that away from her...

I'll never forget my Nani..

Goodbye Nani...maybe in your next life, "You will speak English!"

May your soul take you to a new and wonderful existence...

Your loving grandson,
Raj








A few videos in Hindi of her :
http://youtu.be/ISfiVdJQeM8
http://youtu.be/oQGDB0unhtM

2 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Suren's Blog said...

Truly moved by your account, man. Brought back memories of my own grandparents.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Your Nani seems like she was quite a lady! She lives on in your stories about her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home