Sunday, January 26, 2014

Getting Coco To Europe - Emotional Support Status

I decided to take Coco to Italy with me starting in March 2013.  I also decided I needed to figure out a way to get her in the cabin of airplane as opposed to in cargo.  It wasn't that simple of an ordeal.  After reading the legal, it seemed that the only thing I needed was to get her emotional support status.  But how?  To get an emotional support status, you needed at the minimum a doctors note from a certified Psycologist.  Luckily I knew a family friend, and since he know I had seen a psycologist 4-5 times on emotional type of support, he was not reluctant in helping me out and actually writing a formal letter..that was the first step.
------
These requirements for the letter are excerpted from:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20030509.pdf

The letter:
  • Must not more than one year old
  • Must be on the professional's letterhead* must be from a mental health professional
and must state all of the following:
1. That the passenger has a mental health-related DISABILITY that appears in the DSM-IV. Note it is not just a mental illness diagnosis, but a mental illness which SUBSTANTIALLY LIMITS ONE OR MORE MAJOR LIFE ACTIVITIES. Airlines are not permitted to require the documentation to specify the type of mental health disability or the specific diagnosis, but the letter must state that the diagnosis appears in the DSM-IV.


Finally, after the Vet has completed signing their required documents, I had to go to Los Angles to get the county Vet of Southern California to process and sign final paper work.
------
Next I had to go the my Vet to get all of the necessary updated vaccinations (rabies, etc.) Also, according to European standards I had to make sure she was properly vaccinated.

Area Veterinarian-in-Charge (Los Angeles)
11850La Cienega Blvd, Hawthorne, LA
310-725-1970

Getting the badge and vest

Although this isn't mandatory, I did get a vest and badge from a company in the midwest.  I felt that even though a $70 cost, it was more a visable proof that I infact had a emotionally registered dog.  I went with a small mom/ pop place in the midwest for this. There was some small mistakes which delayed the process, but I did like the quality of the deliverable so I still recommend it , even though you should be aware that small business can make some mistakes!


Rabbies in Europe:
 For animals coming specifically from the United States (Annex II, Section C of the 998\2003\EC regulation) it is also not necessary to subject the animals to the Rabies serological test.

http://matadornetwork.com/change/how-emotional-support-animals-are-changing-air-travel/

Ahh, and once you have gotten your dog abroad to Europe, make sure you get your European pet passport:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/ 

Good Luck!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home