Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Outside of my comfort zone...

This morning was very interesting...I woke up to some very heavy, unpleasant dreams....And as soon as I got up, I thought to myself, instead of walking out to the 'world' in a bad mood, I must get some good exercise and regain my postive spirit. I planned to go to Yoga for an 8AM class at a gym nearby. It turned out when I got to the gym, yoga was tomorrow, and today's class was "Dance Salsa."

Whoa! I thought to myself, should I do it? It will be very embarrasing....but then I had known about this class in the past, and its caught my curiosity. So anyhow, right before class started, I decided to ask someone getting warmed up, about it..."come on she said, it will be FUN..you will enjoy it", she said. She went on to have a conversation about what I do, and made me very comfortable. And after the brief 5 minute conversation, I told her I'd try it, and then and there, I knew I had "committed" and couldnt' turn back.

As I entered the class, I looked around me, it was a sea of women everywhere, in fact I was the "only " guy! And it seemed all the women appreciated that I was there, even a few commented about my braveness!" But it was even more humiliating when the teacher in front of everyone, happily mentioned and observed that I was in class, "and we have a guy in class today, how nice" she said. She went on by saying, "So who brought you in here"...and I simply responded, in my embarrased undertone, "I just decided to walk in and try it out..",...and the next thing I knew, to my astonishment, a loud cheer and clap by nearly every female in class...."Man", I thought to myself, need some male companionship in here I thought!

The class went on, we did everything from Salsa, to Morenge, to Cha Cha, to Tango, even Bhangra, yup Bhangra!!!! I struggled through it, stepping on myself, totally uncoordinated, hips not loose, you name it....and boy was I self conscious...but after a while, I realized that nobody even noticed, and started getting into it...

As the end approached, an hour later, I gave myself a big internal sigh of relief and pat on the back, "I made it! I survived"...finally the end had come..but to my astonishment, I actually contemplated coming back again, and perfecting my dancing skills--as that is something we do less of in older age, and I remembered how much fun it was during my 20's to go clubbing! In fact on leaving the gym, one lady approached me really trying to convince me that she herself had NO clue how to dance, but somehow, after a few weeks, it just all came together and this teacher had a way to help you figure out the steps.." Probably easy to pick up for someone that has some sort of talent with movement, I thought to myself, yet in my mind, I remained cynical about my ability to pick these moves up! Nevertheless, she was very encouraging and even told me more males were needed, as there as "too much estrogen in the class"! I laughed and told her I'd seriously think about it..

And the lady I met prior to class starting, she ended up taking my business card and invited me to a "empowerment seminar" that she was running, and told me about a film she was making...strange how I bump into interesting people everywhere I go. I felt in a span of one hour, I made a new friend!

Anyhow, regardless of whether or not I take this class ever again, a valuable lesson learned..its a good feeling to get outside your comfort zone at times...get outside of your "box", outside of your "routine"..and it also makes you realize how we have one "guaranteed" life to live, and instead of living for others, you should live for yourself, imagine, wonder, try new things, and meet new people...

Onward..

Raj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home