Monday, December 21, 2009

Raining Catz and Dogz...

Well well well...just when I thought I was getting "used" to Chennai, and even contemplating forgetting Blore and living here for the foreseeable future, on comes an onslaught of rain...My friend asked me quite an appropriate question, "Haven't you even been through a tropical storm here in Chennai." I really didn't know how to answer. "YES, OF COURSE MAN", I thought to myself..although upon further thought, realize that "San Diego" or Southern California in general, by no means has ANYTHING close to what happens here--honestly, we're pretty much spoiled brats, and complain if our jeans get wet during a light rain! In fact, its quite funny how many ppl get into traffic accidents to moment we have a drizzle...nobody is really used to rain out there! Anyhow, back to Chennai...my friend went on to say that the amt of rain fall that Hurricane Katrina produced happens 10-12 times a year out here! WOW! I thought to myself...

Finally, after about two hours of waiting in our office for a call taxi (although as with typical Indian punctuality accuracy, he kept saying 2 min , 2 min, 2 min...)..the driver did end up showing up ard. midnight and drove us home.. But believe me, the adventure didn't stop there. It was unreal observing the streets filled with water, no drains... I'd describe the entire city as one giant and dirty Swimming Pool :)

We finally reached my service apartment, only to park the car in knee deep water. My friend told me, I'd have to take my shoes off, roll up my pants, and walk to the gate.

"Are you crazy"..I thought to myself..I'm not touching my beautiful feet into this filthy swamp like water..who knows what organisms are lurking there! But soon came to the realization that i might have no choice :)

As luck might have it thought, I realized that our car was in front of the wrong apartment, and my driveway, just one house north, had a elevated driveway, with no water build up! So I happily got out of the car,,without having to experience the adventure described above.

Ahh...now I'm in my apartment, its 1230AM..better shut the lights and head to bed..can't wait to see what tomorrow brings :)

Gnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home