Saturday, November 07, 2009

Drenched in the Rain!

I have signed up with our CEO to help launch Shorthand, our mobile application to the Indian Market! Its going to be a full time effort--most of it being in India! Funny, when I look back, I remember telling my folks that I wanted to do International Business when I grew up...at that time, it was simply a gut level comment, didn't know where it would lead.,...and here I am today, literally jet-setting between India and the US all the time!

Anyhow, I have a great challenge ahead...we think that this SMS Browser application is going to go places in a market like India, where literally everyone has a mobile phone, and uses SMS!
Over the next few months, I'll be meeting with lots of companies ranging from to large handset manufacturers, all in effort to build a Business Development effort here in India. I'll be living and moving where the opportunity takes me..be it Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, etc etc. all over this vast land! I have to admit, I am taking this position with a bit of nervousness as its a big responsibility and unpredictable in terms of if we'll have financial success, but I'm taking it as a great challenge, and learning opportunity! I am inspired by a lunch meeting we had with Dr. CK Prahalad about 3 weeks ago--he said, "go to India, not for emotional reasons, but to make money."--and my CEO, "India is like the Wild-West right now"...I don't think it could have been better stated than that.

Of course, for me, nothing comes without adventure. I landed Friday midnight to pouring rain, and flooded streets! In fact, on Saturday, after spending the day searching for apartments to live in, the Taxi couldn't even drive back into my hotel entrance, as the ENTIRE road was flooded-- you'd have to literally swim to get there! So we had to wait across the street until the hotel staff arranged a jeep to pick up up. The funny thing, in typical "INDIAN" fashion, when I confronted the manager later, asking why he hasn't fixed the road-- his answer, "This is an ACT of GOD, the road is curved upward, and we can't do anything about it!!!" That was when I realized , I'm back in India, and need to be ready for typical DESI logic! We finally did manage to get into the hotel (1.5 hours later), and I did also did manage to quickly find and move into a service apartment..

At night, although I was quite jet-lagged, I went out with two friends to a disco-tech at the Park Hotel Chennai...it was quite a fitting way to start my trip...everyone was FILLED with energy dancing to beats of Michael Jackson and lots of HipHop and House! Quite a scene watching the Tamil-Nadians (is this a word) party it up-!! Funny thing is that every time I am in India, I am more motivated and have more fun with night life than I do in San Diego..maybe being in a city and also, international, I seem to be more motivated to go.

Anyhow, after the night at the bar/ disc, in the pouring rain, we went to Marina Beach, and just kinda "drenches ourselves" in the rain, at 2AM--for no apparent reason! Not very practical, but nevertheless, a lot of fun. I made it home around 3AM, having to pound the doors and windows dealing with the heavy downpour on my already soaking clothes, as the housekeeper was fast asleep and I couldn't wake him! My phone battery was dead as usual, so I couldn't call either. I made it in finally though, and knew this was the perfect set up for the next few months of adventure!

Now its Sunday early afternoon, I'm all moved into my new apartment room, nicknamed KING FISHER. It has a sweet balcony (kinda old fashioned Bungalow style) which I love. Right now, I have the balcony door wide open, and blasted Hindi songs coming out of my TV, and the cool wind gushing in my face as I type! Best part, this apartment is just 5 minutes walking distance from our development office, which I love!

Onward with the adventures in India..until next time...

Raj

1 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger William David Hoyman said...

Cool blog my friend, glad you're being bold in India, may mighty forces come to your aid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home